Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My BASH profile

These are notes on how I like to have my command prompt set up. I'm a BASH user so I will be updating the .profile and the .bashrc files. Both files are located in the users home directory.


This what my prompt looks like. It is a two line prompt, I find that it helps break up the commands from the output. The second line also gives more room for long commands and helps prevent the line from wrapping over top of the prompt.
earth:~
man@earth

The basic bash prompt don't look all the great, as seen below. To get it look like the example above run the command below.

bash
bash$

export PS1="\[\e]2;\h:\w \a\[\e[0;31m\]\u\[\e[0m\]@\e[0;32m\h\e[0;34m\]\n<\[\e[0m\] "

Below I have posted my .profile file.
earth:~
man@earth
more .profile

PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/openv/netbackup:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin:/usr/sfw/bin/:$HOME

MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/dt/man:/usr/openwin/share/man:/usr/X11/man:/usr/man:/usr/sfw/man:/usr/local/man:

EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
TMOUT=0
TIMEOUT=0

#alias xterm="xterm -sl 1000 &"
#export PS1="\[\e]2;\h:\w \a\[\e[0;31m\]\u@\e[0;32m\h\e[0;34m\]>\[\e[0m\] "
export PS1="\[\e]2;\h:\w \a\[\e[0;31m\]\u\[\e[0m\]@\e[0;32m\h\e[0;34m\]\n<\[\e[0m\] "
The PATH statement is used to store the paths of the commands you want to use. This way you don't need to provide the full path for each command you want to run. The MANPATH statement is basically the same thing, but used to help you access the man pages.



No comments:

Post a Comment